Thursday, September 10, 2009

Beauty from Ashes

This morning around 4:30am was when my mom died 19 years ago. It was a horrible day, and I remember every detail like it happened yesterday. Those of you who knew me then, know that I became a very angry & bitter teenager. As I look back, I remember many people who did so much for me to help me cope & heal, and I'm so grateful for their tireless (but never unnoticed) work.

I was counseling a student the other day, and we were talking about a great loss in their life. After that appointment, God has brought to mind the many things that I didn't understand then (when my mom died), but now they are crystal clear. Who knows really why the Lord took my mom at that time, but He obviously saw it as best for all involved. Over the last 19 years, He has been showing me small benefits to the timing of her death. I would never have left home if she was still alive. I would have never pursued counseling as a career. I would have never met Miles. I would have never been stretched spiritually as I have been over the last 10 years. I wouldn't be where I am in my relationship with God. That in and of itself is enough explanation for me . . . the peace & joy that come from knowing the Lord well is indispensible to my life. I think her death was the first in a chain of events that took me to where I am. PTL!!! I'm so grateful for where the Lord has brought me.

Romans 8:28 is absolutely true: All things work together for the good of those who love Him . . .

2 comments:

  1. Great post. I actually remembered that it was this month some time from our chats at PBA. You were such a blessing to me at a very difficult time in my life. I know that it wasn't an accident that I found someone who could completely relate to what I was going through. Thanks for allowing Him to use you to touch my life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this, Liz. It's amazing to see how you see how God has been using this... it's really hard to do that sometimes and it's a blessing to hear your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete