Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Patriotism

Patriotic Page
I used to be one of the most patriotic people I knew.  My favorite skirt in middle school was made of material covered with the American flag.  I had a tape of all American Anthems . . . and it was one of my favorites!  My brother & my brother-in-law have both served in our military, and I'm so grateful for so many people who have given their lives for our freedom.  I've visited many countries around the world that don't enjoy the freedoms we have, and I'm eternally grateful for our freedom . . . sort of . . . I've also found in other countries that they are more devoted to God because they don't enjoy the freedoms we have.  They can't depend on their government to legislate morality or allow them to meet in church gatherings.  They must depend on God.  Our easy life doesn't enjoy sacrifice, and that is what Christianity is about. 

But I was convicted of my patriotism one day a couple of years ago when speaking with a music pastor at a local church. He said the most frustrating days to lead "worship" in his church were the patriotic days.  It wasn't because he didn't like the music or the cause, it was the response of the people.  He said it was always the most passionate day of "worship" . . . unfortunately, the worship was of our country or the people who served our country . . . not God.  Week in and week out, he would watch complacent people singing in the pews about how great God is with no emotion whatsoever . . . but he would pull out America the Beautiful, and people were moved to tears. 

Again, please don't get me wrong, I am grateful for the USA . . . but do we worship it & our freedom more than God?  Just something to think about . . .



7 comments:

  1. Thank you for this reality check. I stumbled across your photo searching for a "Patriotic" photo. God wanted me to read this today. I will be more careful where my priorities are. We should not be more enthusiastic about our country than our God.
    Jennifer, Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  2. There were no patriotic songs at the church I attend this past fourth of July, and I told one of the pastors later on that I appreciated that. I don't even think a US flag belongs in a sanctuary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are not American. America was established as one nation under God, how can you even say an American flag does not belong in a church? Check your self.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for your picture and the thought of putting God first.

    2Ch 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Without this country we would not be able to worship our God freely

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree entirely with T.
    Without The Constitution and Our Bill of Right... We Americans would NEVER be able to speak freely and worship God.
    GOD BLESS THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and The men and women who have given the ultimate sacrifices to keep us FREE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two very important points,
    FIRST:
    Thank you for the point of reflection. It is the Creator not the things created that deserve the credit. If we loose persptective, we will miss the value of our existance. God is the CREATOR that created our being. Simply put, God IS.

    SECOND:
    Henry, T you seem to have missed the point. Try having a country without God. Read Matthew 8:24-27

    ReplyDelete