Friday, March 11, 2011

Earthquakes, Tsunamis, and God


My favorite geographical location in all the world is a beach.  I can, and have on many occasions, sat on the beach for hours just taking it all in.  There is nothing like the beach.  The sound of the water overpowers most everything else.  I love to swim in the ocean.  The feeling of freely swimming in something so powerful is amazing.  It is like learning to trust God.  He is awe-ful, but I am unafraid because I trust Him.  The power of that water is awe inspiring.   I love to just sit and watch the water come in and go out.  If at any point, God decided to, He could intervene, and the tide wouldn't work like it does.  The water would break loose, and completely devastate the earth.  It happened in Genesis, and God promised to never completely destroy the earth again by flood. I can sit with confidence on the beach, in awe of the mighty power of God that He keeps restrained.  It is His mercy that keeps the water where it is supposed to be. 

This morning when I woke up hearing of an earthquake off the coast of Japan which caused a tsunami.  One of those times that God did not keep the water restrained.  My first concern was a friend in Guam.  Then as I watched the videos on television, I sat in awe of the devastation.  The pictures from a plane of this 30 foot wave that wasn't dying down like most waves do before they reach the shore.  The wave hits the shore, and moves everything in its path like twigs in a river.  I saw one scene of a tractor trailer just picked up and floating around like it was an inner tube.  Dozens of cars and houses just picked up by the water and moved across the farmland like lava.  I watched in silence for a long while.  The fear that those people must be experiencing! 

Yet the Lord brought me back to Who He is. He is the Almighty God.  He reminded me of His mercy, of His holiness, of His love, of His wrath, of His protection.  Psalm 46 began running through my mind: 

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change and though the mountains slip into the heart of the sea; though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains quake at its swelling pride. Cease striving and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth. (46:1-3, 10 NASB)

Who knows why God allowed this earthquake, tsunami, and devastation . . . but honestly we all deserve to die.  It is His mercy that He extends to those of us unaffected.  I hope that we are all reminded of God, His power, His Lordship, His holiness, and most of all His mercy. 

My heart and prayers are with those suffering from the devastation.  God, I pray that You would be with them, and they would search for You.

1 comment:

  1. My boys and I are memorizing Ps 46 this quarter in school. It is one thing to memorize scripture, it is another to see it happening.

    And I was complaining of a wet basement!

    ReplyDelete