Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Praying in Faith

So how do we pray in faith?  I find it difficult to find the balance in praying in faith believing that God is going to do something and praying in faith that God's will is primary.  I'm finding that I pray selfishly (and why not, selfishness has completely infiltrated my life . . . sorry for the sarcasm).  Somewhere I went off the path . . .

I want to pray confidently that God will answer my prayer.  I want to pray confidently that God is in control, but since I am not God (for which I am so grateful), I don't know His will. 

I had an email conversation with a godly man about this topic to help me get my head back on straight, and here is what I've learned. 
1.  Praying in faith is not about having faith in the request coming to pass, but having faith in the God to whom we pray.  TV preachers and pentecostals are constantly preaching the "name it & claim it" theology, and that is what this is.  This actually looks alot like "I'll tell God what to do."  I AM NOT GOD.
2.  A big part of praying is for the pray-er to have his or her will conformed to the will of God.  This is a big deal.  I find that when I am just reflecting on what God's perspective might be on the situation that I am quickly given that truth.  God wants me to see things from His perspective, and so when I ask, He gives that  to me.  The tough part is submitting to that contentedly.
3.  The Bible is clear to let us know that we don't always get what we want.  This was confusing to me, especially living down here in Church of God country where "Name it & Claim it" is a popular prayer. But when I think about it . . . again, I'm not God.  He is.  Parents know the difference between what their kids want and need.  Sometimes parents give them things they just want, but many times they don't.  The same is true with God.  He knows what we need and what we just want, and sometimes He gives us what we want.  But He always gives us what we need. 
4.  Prayer is not designed by God to be a means by which we twist His arm to get what we really need or want.  Prayer is a means of communion with Him & our means of making our requests known to Him.  This is where I have really missed the boat.  Prayer is communion with God.  It is a time to "be still and know that He is God" (Ps. 46).  It is a time to get to know Him and learn how to hear Him. 

God, help me to learn how to hear You better. Help me to learn to pray in faith well.  I need to walk through life and listen closely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment