Saturday, February 5, 2011

Worship

I think I've developed a skewed sense of worship.  What is worship?  Is it singing songs?  Is it being in a church building singing with a group of people or reciting liturgical sayings?  Is it running up and down the aisles laughing or yelling out to God?  What is this thing we call worship?  It is paying respect or reverence to God (in this case). 

I've found that worship is not a natural occurrence for me or anyone else for that matter.  It can become more natural for Christians, but it isn't a natural occurrence for us as humans.  We would much rather whine & complain.  I wonder if that is why it is referred to as a "sacrifice of praise"?  I'm kidding a bit, but who knows.

Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise—the fruit of lips that openly profess his name. And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased.  Hebrews 13:15-16

I've been reading The Prayer that Changes Everything (OMartian), and I've been learning alot about worship.  It isn't singing with a bunch of people in a building, even though that is what most churches call it.  It is giving respect and reverence to God.  It is focused on God, not on me.  Many of the so called "worship" songs sung in the building and on Christian radio are focused on me and my experience.  But worship removes the focus from me, and forces me to focus on God. 

Recently, I've been struggling to remember that God is good. That He really does have my best in mind.  Unanswered prayers will naturally speaking elicit anger at God whether we admit it or not, unless you have learned to worship God in the midst of it.  Unanswered prayers have elicited hopelessness in me, but I wasn't worshipping God in the midst of it.  So God is teaching me to worship Him, and I'm using what He has showed me before to do so. 

Do not conform to the pattern of this world (by whining & complaining), but be transformed by the renewing of your mind (I need to worship instead). Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—His good, pleasing and perfect will (His will is for us to praise Him). Romans 12:2 NIV

Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. I Thessalonians 5:16-18 NIV


So as I wonder why God isn't answering my prayers (because He really is answering them, just not how I want Him to answer them), and I get discouraged, I need to turn my face toward Him and praise Him for who He is and for His promises.  Find things to praise Him for.  Like the other night our HVAC went out.  I could have complained about it being cold.  Instead I was grateful for a person we didn't even know who offered us his kerosene heater.  I was grateful that the electric bill wasn't going to be as high.  I was grateful that we only had to replace parts of the HVAC, not the whole thing. Most importantly, I was grateful that He knows what I'm going through, and He is Jehovah Jireh, my provider . . . and I started worshipping.

“‘Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty,’ who was, and is, and is to come.” Revelation 4:8b NASB

You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being. Revelation 4:11 NASB





No comments:

Post a Comment